I recently got a Asus Transformer TF300 and couldn’t wait to root it with Jelly Bean 4.2.1 to operate Ubuntu Linux within. After a bit of playing around I successfully was able to unlock, root and run Linux with Android 4.2. I’ve written my instructions and included the files below in hopes to save you time, enjoy.
Before anything make sure your tablet is updated to Android 4.2.1. If not just go into Settings -> About -> Update, until you are at 4.2.1. Do not update any versions higher otherwise you can always restart your tablet in recovery and wipe it back to 4.2.1.
Step 1 – Backup
- Backup all your apps and settings. You can pick Google Sync or another similar cloud service. Asus Sync is available though not applicable to backing up programs.
- Don’t forget:
- Photos and Videos
- Account information
- Messages, Notes and Contacts
- Applications and Settings
- Documents, PDF, e-books
Step 2 – Unlocking your Asus TF300
“Again tell me why I need to unlock my Asus tablet?” A locked Android tablet won’t be able to install new firmware locking you down from installing anything at a boot level.
- Download the official Unlock Asus ‘Unlock_v8.rar’ file and untar (my local copy) Unlock_v8.apk to your device internal memory.
- Install the Asus Unlocking App and run it.
- Follow the instructions the unlock your device and once all is done you will see your tablet reboot and display ‘This device is UnLocked’ on startup (screenshot above). That’s it, next.
Step 3 – Alright the good stuff, Rooting your TF300 with Jelly Bean 4.2
At this stage before anything you need to have Asus Sync configured and working between your PC and Tablet (get Asus Sync from the Asus support site). You will need:
- Developer mode enabled (Settings -> About -> click Build 4 times)
- USB Debugging activated
- Third party install enabled (settings -> Security)
- Download this second zip package (contains a TF300 boot TWRP 22.214.171.124 version with fastboot) and unzip into your ‘C:Program FilesAsusAsus Sync’ Folder or really any other temp folder.
- Open Cmd.exe and ‘CD’ into your Asus Sync folder where you uploaded fastboot.exe from step 1. (in picture above)
* Added comment from Damz -using JB 10.6.1.8 build version, use twrp version 126.96.36.199-4.4.blob, connect your USB cable to your pad and do the fastboot steps.
- Type in Cmd: fastboot –i 0x0b05 flash recovery twrp.blob (you can run it without -i 0x0b05 also)
- The prompt will say < waiting for device > (in picture above). At that stage restart your tablet and upon startup press ‘Volume Down and Power On’ until you see 3 images (RCK, Android, Wipe). Make sure you stay at that menu, you will see fastboot.exe connect and flash the recovery.
- When finished type: fastboot reboot
- DO NOT Reboot into recovery, let it boot up into its normal state at least once.
- Download UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.34.zip and upload into your tablet’s internal memory.
- Once you have SuperSU copied reboot with ‘Volume Down and Power On’ until you see the screen with 3 images on bootup.
- Press ‘Volume Up’ to select Recovery (RCK) which will load TWRP.
- Pick Install and select UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.34.zip, what it do its stuff.
- Wipe Dalvik/Cache
- Reboot and that’s it, you got yourself a TF300 rooted with Android 4.2
You will notice SuperSU in your application list. SuperSU will provide superuser access to any application requesting root. You have full control and can easily manage the permissions for each app.
The first test is, install Android Terminal Emulator and type at the Terminal’s prompt:
You will get a popup from SuperSU asking permission to grant root access. Do so and type:
That’s right! You are root, group zero, full access. Congratulations! Now you can run any application under root, manage/load custom roms, develop application with root access, install custom tweaks, and terminate any application plus more.
I hope this help you, let me know your thoughts or stories below, thanks!
A quick last note, the download files and links have been updated March 2014, including the content per other users’ experience. Thank you for commenting and helping everyone.
This Might Interest You
What other visitors used to search this page:
- root asus tf300t
- how to root asus tf300t
- root tf300t
- root tf300t 4 2 1
- asus tf300t root
- tf300t root